10 Ways to Make a Difference…
Showing gratitude and giving back are great ways to express appreciation for people and experiences in your life. It doesn’t always have to involve money or even a large amount of time. Small gestures of kindness can have a ripple effect and makes the world a better place. There are thousands of ways to show you care. Use your imagination, look around your community, talk to your neighbors and friends to find ways you can make a difference. Here are a handful of ideas to get you started.
- Find a nonprofit organization that aligns with your interests and offer your time
and skills. Most charities are looking for volunteers and it’s a great way to meet
- Perform random acts of kindness. Give an unexpected compliment, buy someone’s coffee, buy a warm meal for someone in need.
- Help an elderly neighbor with household chores or rides to the grocery store. Offer to take them to a movie or community theatre.
- Offer to babysit for a new mom who’s overwhelmed – even if you just stay in their home while they get some sleep.
- Invite someone to share a meal with you, either by taking them out or cooking a meal together. Breaking bread with an acquaintance is a universal way to bond.
- Actively listen when someone wants to talk or share their thoughts. Show you value their perspective and feelings.
- A handwritten thank-you note is a heartfelt way to express gratitude.
- Choose to buy from local businesses to help boost your community’s economy.
- Donate to local food banks or shelters. Food, clothing and money are always needed.
- Save lives by donating blood, plasma or platelets at your local blood bank.